Having a baby changes a lot of things in your life. Adding another person to the family affects your budget, your sleep, your daily routines. You might need a bigger vehicle to fit everyone. Perhaps you have to rearrange your living room to make space for a baby swing. Things are just… different.
One of the biggest changes can be between you and your spouse- especially if you were trying to conceive for awhile. Some couples go from regularly scheduling their alone time to not having to plan it anymore, or even not being allowed if there are pregnancy complications.
So how do you get your groove back? I asked some of my friends and they were full of advice and tips.
- Stick a Baby Einstein DVD in and slip away. Take a moment to reconnect without leaving the house and worrying about if the babysitter is handling the baby okay. In those early days, sometimes leaving your new addition is just not worth the stress.
- Encourage your husband to help. There’s not much sexier than a man doing dishes or vacuuming. And less work for you means more time to shower… always a good thing when you want to be close to someone.
- But don’t forget to thank him for all the help! When you feel appreciated by someone, you’re more likely to feel romantic towards them.
- Buy something that fits. It doesn’t have to be lingerie. A pair of decent fitting non-maternity jeans, even if they are in a size or two bigger, can make a world of difference in your self-confidence.
- Communicate! Don’t forget to talk to your husband. Keeping the lines of communication open leads to a closer marriage.
- Shake up your pre-baby routine and get creative! Alone time doesn’t have to only be at night and in bed. If you have a moment during naptime, snag it!
- Remember the little things. Going back to those dating days and doing little things like picking up your spouse’s favorite candy while on a diaper run can remind them that they are still an important part of your life.
After having kids, how did you get your groove back? Do you have any suggestions or tips?