Poor Bacon

sickyogsI’d thought we’d left the hospital days behind us when Logan was released from the NICU, but he had other ideas.  Yesterday morning, he was acting off- just really whiny and inconsolable.   He was fussing when we’d try to feed him, and he felt a little warm.  I figured it was the beginning of an ear infection, and we called to try to get a same day appointment with no luck.  They told us to bring him over to the ER to be checked.   I thought they’d just send him home with a prescription for antibiotics and some Tylenol, so Aaron brought him in and I stayed here to be home with the twins and when the girls got off the bus.

Once Aaron and Logan arrived, his temperature was up to 102.6.  They took blood, urine, a chest xray and swabbed for RSV and all of it has come back fine so far.  There was discussion of a spinal tap but that didn’t go anywhere.  They think it’s viral, but they decided to transfer him to another hospital and keep him overnight last night.

They were going to send him home today, but weren’t happy with some of the blood work from yesterday.  I guess the first hospital took the blood by heel stick and this hospital feels it’s not as accurate for growing cultures, so they want another 24 one done.  He’s congested now as well, which he wasn’t when this all started.  They still feel it’s just viral, but they’re keeping him for “skilled observation”.  Their words, not mine.

Today while E watched his siblings, I brought Aaron over some toiletries, clothes and stuff since he’s been the one staying at the hospital with Logan.  I also got to snuggle my baby for a little while, and boy, I missed him.  He seemed in better spirits today, acting more like himself.  He was making all his silly faces and being cuddly.  It was sad seeing him all hooked up to the monitors again like when he was in the NICU though, even if he is 10 pounds now instead of only 4.


There’s this really cool baby seat that they put in his room and he just loves it.  In general, he’s not a big fan of swings or bouncy seats and prefers to be held all the time.  It’s not too big of a deal since he’s got so many siblings to love on him but usually we can only get him to stay in a seat long enough to maybe shower, if that.   But this one is like nothing he’s ever tried- he actually giggles and coos while in it.   Aaron says we might have to look into getting one for him.

Hopefully all the cultures will come back fine tomorrow and he can come home… I sure miss my little guy!


  1. 1

    awwwww…poor Bacon!
    I hope he feels better soon.

    PS That chair is cool looking.

  2. 2

    Oh that must be so hard to be away from him when he’s not well. Thinking of you and sending healing vibes Bacon’s way!

  3. 3
    Gretchen in HB says:

    LOVE the MamaRoo!
    Sorry to see Bacon’s not feelin’ well. Hope the docs fix him up and send him home soon.

  4. 4
    Christina says:

    Aww, poor little guy… hope he is feeling better and home soon!!

    I have always loved the MamaRoo seats… I have a friend who had one, her son hated it…. she let another friend borrow it, her daughter hated it. They are expensive, but I thought of saving for one with our last, then remembered the two that hated it and decided not to (wish my friend hadn’t sold hers… or waited a few months until our little surprise came along lol).

  5. 5

    Poor Bacon! I hope that he feels better soon!

    We have one of those seats, and it was the only seat that Ziggy would sit in. We loved it!

  6. 6

    That seat looks like a mamaroo. They are amazing!! Hope he feels better soon!

  7. 7

    Good thoughts and prayers he comes home soon and you guys can find one of those seats 🙂

  8. 8

    Aw! Poor fella!! I hope he feels better quickly and that you can snuggle him at home soon!

  9. 9

    Poor baby 🙁 Too bad I sold my Mamaroo. My son HATED it! I would have gladly shipped it your way.