Hospital Adventures

Last Friday, I went to the doctor to get a refill on some medications that I’d run out of.  I’d been out for quite awhile but was having issues with switching Tricare and whatnot.  Because of that. my blood pressure had been running high for awhile and that day was no exception.  My pulse was also crazy fast at about 130 while resting, so they decided to do an EKG.

They diagnosed me with an enlarged atrium, probably a result of my blood pressure being uncontrolled for a while.  They set me up with new medications and a referral to a cardiologist for an echo.  They thought once I brought my blood pressure under control again, my heart would fix itself.

Saturday I was miserable, but I assumed it was just my body adjusting to the new medications.  I was nauseous and hot and cold, and I couldn’t get comfortable.  On Sunday, Aaron wanted to bring the kids to the water park but all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball and cry.  I asked him to bring me to the ER, because I just couldn’t take another day of feeling that awful.

When we got there, it was determined that my gallbladder needed to come out ASAP- but unfortunately they couldn’t do it at that hospital, so I was shipped via ambulance to another one.  By this point I’d been pumped full of some pretty nice pain medications, so my recollection of time is totally off, because I don’t feel like I was at the new hospital long at all before surgery, but they didn’t actually do the surgery until Tuesday.

The first thing I do remember is waking up in a panic, being unable to breathe, and having all these floating heads over me telling me to relax and calm down and breathe.  My next memory is waking up in the ICU.

Apparently, between the enlarged atrium and some previously undiagnosed sleep apnea, I didn’t come out of the anesthesia properly.  I don’t know what all they did to me while I was under, but I have bruises all up and down my arms and I felt like I was punched in the stomach repeatedly for days.

At one point, I was complaining because of a painful IV site, and they kept telling me it was because of what I was getting through the IV that was stinging, but I’ve had plenty of IVs and never felt that pain before.  My whole hand swelled up and was hot and hard to the touch and I ended up having to go back into the hospital for IV antibiotics to take care of it.  It’s still slightly swollen and painful, but I can make a fist now, and seems on the mend.

I was discharged Thursday night, despite feeling unready to go home.  I was still in a lot of pain and very shaky when getting up to use the restroom.  I was also still receiving pain medication through the IV.  The whole time I was at the second hospital, I was less than impressed- they didn’t once let Aaron know what was going on with me, or when they took me to surgery.  And not once in all those days did anyone help me shower or anything.  Coupled with the IV issue and the way they sent me home despite me asking to stay makes me wary of going back there.


  1. 1

    OMG, how scary! I hope you are feeling better soon!
    Shell recently posted..Albion Fit Review and Giveaway

  2. 2

    Oh my gosh girl! I hope you’re feeling better! How scary!

    Hillary recently posted..March For Babies!

  3. 3

    Uh wow. I’m not letting them cut me open again. I just eat nothing that makes my gallbladder mad. That IS scary and I hope you feel better soon.

  4. 4

    Oh NO! I just thought of you when I opened my reader since we hadn’t heard from you in a while. I hope you are on the mend soon! Love and prayers – JEN
    JENinMICH recently posted..Friday Night Leftovers

  5. 5

    You are a wise women, Jayme….it’s good to listen to your gut, so to speak, because you are intimately aware of it! 😉 Doctors are not gods and everyone should ask questions so they can understand what the proposed medical procedures are all about. Known research on current protocols of care is now available to the average human via the World Wide Web! This understanding can strengthen the bonds of trust that are necessary between patient and practitioner. We take care for our families and should look out for ourselves also.
    In an emergency we sometimes have to see the chips fall where they may, but you’re correct in judging your circumstance as having been definitely handled rather badly. The medical arts/sciences have taken 2nd place behind the insurance industry which demands a domino-effect in procedure, for the sake of their business model. It seems there are those in business who have decided to extract as much capital from healthcare as possible without regard to the consequences. If you have researched your specifics you can better make choices with a peaceful heart. Don’t forget…you can always get a second opinion. I hope you are on the mend and feeling better. Do take care & listen to your gut!

  6. 6

    Not a fun way to spend a week of your life. I hope you heal quickly and never end up back in that hospital again!

  7. 7

    oh my WORD, Jayme!!!!! What a week you’ve had – my work woes pale in comparison 🙂

    I’m so glad you followed your instincts and went to get checked out!

    Get well soon, but properly 🙂 🙂
    Marcia (123 blog) recently posted..Monday Musings – do you want to be on Exco?

  8. 8

    That sounds like a horrible experience, I’m sorry you went through that and I hope you’re feeling better soon.

    dana at Lil Family Blog recently posted..The Great Diaper Post

  9. 9

    I am glad that you are feeling at least a little better! What a mess and how scary to have that loss of time and awareness. Thinking of you!!!
    Maria recently posted..26 Weeks: What’s in a Name?

  10. 10

    Wow…I’m glad you’re feeling better. I totally missed this post! I hope you’re healing well.